Last night (Wednesday 24th November 2021), Cheshire College – South and West celebrated the academic and personal achievements of 17 remarkable learners from across the region at the annual Freemen and Guild Awards.
The Freemen and Guilds Awards began 50 years ago in 1968, however the Guilds have been associated with the recruitment and training of Apprentices for centuries. The prizes are seen as a renewal of a historic bond between the Guilds and Education, as well as a symbol of encouragement and esteem for young people.
The Freemen and Guilds of Chester are made up of 23 companies, including the Joiners and Carvers, the Saddlers and Curriers, the Cappers, Pinners, Wiredrawers and Linen Drapers, and the Barber Surgeons, Wax and Tallow Chandlers Company.
The awards mark the learners’ accomplishments, many of whom have exceeded expectations or made significant impacts on their course. Winners included Apprentices, day, part-time and full-time learners, reflecting the diverse nature of the College.
Alren Moulton, Level 3 Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair learner, who received the Saddlers and Curriers Awards, commented: “I really appreciate being considered for this award. Sometimes when you go to larger award ceremonies at school, you don’t always win something, so it was a complete surprise to me to be chosen for this, and considering that not many learners receive these awards, it feels extra-special. I really enjoyed being at the event and the award has made me feel that all the hard work has been worth it.”
Award winners and their guests arrived at the ceremony to be greeted by Hospitality and Catering learners serving a selection of delicious drinks and canapes, made by learners.
Dhesi, Principal and CEO at Cheshire College, added: “Our relationship with the Freemen and Guilds of Chester is more important than ever as our nation’s economy is in need of more and more vocationally skilled people.
“All winners have been selected to receive an award because they have exceeded expectation, shown commitment and passion to their programme of study and their chosen industry, as well as demonstrated outstanding levels of achievement. So, huge congratulations to the 17 award winners!”
Full list of the evening’s winners:
14-16 Pre-Apprentice Award for Outstanding Achievement
- Aaron Williams, Engineering Technology Foundation Certificate – Level 1 – EAL (14-16)
Ancient and Worshipful Company of Bricklayers Award
- Luke Bennett, Bricklaying Diploma – Level 2 – C&G
- Martin Herridge, Professional Cookery (Cookery and Patisserie) NVQ Diploma – Level 3 – C&G
Barber Surgeons, Wax and Tallow Chandlers Co Award
- Hadassah Sidwell, Diploma Women’s Hairdressing – Level 3 - C&G
- Joseph Pickstock, Professional Cookery (Cooking and Patisserie) NVQ Diploma – Level 3 – C&G
Cappers, Pinners, Wierdrawers and Linendrapers Award
- Tess Roxburgh, Fashion Business and Retail Extended Diploma – Level 3 - UAL
Clothworkers, Walkers and Masons Company Award
- Charlotte Ireland, Art and Design Practice (Photography) BTEC National Diploma - Level 3 – EDEXCEL
Coopers Company Award
- Ryan Shaw, Engineering Technologies Extended Diploma – Level 3 – EAL
Innholders, Cooks and Victuallers Company Award
- Finn Kinsella, Professional Cookery Diploma – Level 2 – C&G
Joiners and Carvers Company Award
- Kenan Paso, Site Carpentry Diploma – Level 2 – C&G
Ladies’ Section of the Freeman and Guilds Awards
- Stephanie Evans, Childcare and Education (Early Years) Technical Diploma – Level 3 – CACHE/NCFE
Mercers, Ironmongers, Grocers and Apothecaries - Pharmacy Award
- Sebastian Riley, Applied Science (Forensic) BTEC National Extended Diploma – Level 3 – EDEXCEL
Mercers, Ironmongers, Grocers and Apothecaries Award – Ironmongers Award
- Owen Brookes, Engineering Technologies Extended Diploma – Level 3 – EAL
Painters, Glaziers, Embroiderers and Stationers Award
- Tabitha Smallthwaite, Art and Design Practice BTEC National Extended Diploma – Level 3 – EDEXCEL
Saddlers and Curriers Award
- Arlen Moulton, Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles Diploma – Level 3 – IMI
Smiths, Cutlers and Plumbers Award
- Laura Chilton, Plumbing Diploma – Level 2 – C&G
- Cagla Dogan, Art and Design Practice BTEC National Diploma – Level 3 – EDEXCEL
If you are interested in studying at Cheshire College – South & West, or for more information, call 01270 654654 (Crewe Campus), 01244 656555 (Ellesmere Port & Chester Campuses), or visit www.ccsw.ac.uk