Live Chat

Visa Information

International Students

Visa Information

All about visas

We know the different types of Visa and the process in getting one can be overwhelming at times. That’s why we’re here to help with any questions you have.

We’ve provided an overview of the different Visa’s we can accept from our international students, as well as what the general process looks like, but if you do want to talk about this in more detail, please send us a message at

Read More

Frequently asked questions

Short Term Study Visa
Where you can study English for up to 11 months or another course for 6 months.

Standard Visitor Visa
Where you can come to visit family and/or friends, or as a tourist, on a visit Visa and study English or any other course for up to 6 months.

Student Route Visa
If you want to undertake a full time course, you need a Student Route Visa, before travelling to the UK.

This will involve undertaking an UKVI English Test and acquiring a CAS Visa.

Your Visa should be issued for the duration of your course plus some additional time at the end of your course. This varies depending on the course level and duration. A Student Route Visa also allows you to work for a maximum of 10 hours per week.

Please note that if you are applying for a Visa for more than six months, you must pay an additional fee to entitle you to free health care under the National Health Service (NHS). Please visit to find out more and calculate the cost.

In order to be granted a Visa, your application must be approved at every stage. The process is as follows:

  • You apply for a course at Cheshire College
  • You will have an interview
  • If you are successful, the College will issue you with a conditional offer letter
  • You will need to undertake a UKVI approved English language exam and achieve 5.5/6.0 (or equivalent) depending on the course
  • Your paperwork, including financial statements and exam scores, will be checked by Cheshire College. (Please note that a tuberculosis certificate is also required for students from some countries)
  • The CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which includes a reference number) will be sent to you after you have fulfilled the conditions of your offer and paid the required deposit towards your tuition fees
  • You’ll apply for your Visa. You must attach financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the course and your living costs, as well as a consent letter from your parents if you are under 18 years old. (It is uncommon for under-18s to be invited to a credibility interview, although you should be prepared just in case.)
  • You’ll be contacted to let you know whether or not your Visa application has been successful

The application process will probably take around two months, so you must start the process early.

However, the earliest you can apply for a Visa is three months before your course start date. Apply as soon as possible after this to make sure there is enough time for your application to be processed.

You can find out where and how to apply for your Visa in your home country at

If you are currently in the UK on a Student Route Visa for another institute, you must apply for a new Student Route Visa before you enrol at Cheshire College.

You will need the following documents:

  •  Valid Passport
  •  Passport Photograph
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Cheshire College
  • English Exam Certificates (IELTS)
  • Evidence of enough funds to meet the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) maintenance requirements
  • Tuberculosis test certificate (if you live in any of the countries listed on this website)

The Home Office uses credibility interviews as part of the Tier 4 Visa application process to ensure that you comply with the UK’s immigration rules.

Some students may be interviewed when submitting their application. The interview is nothing to worry about it; it’s just to establish that you are a genuine student. You need to show you are serious about studying, and that you have good knowledge of your chosen college and course.

Please prepare for these interviews in advance so that you are confident answering questions about your plans to study in the UK.

Below are some examples of questions you may be asked during the interview and we recommend you practise answering questions of this type.

  • Why did you choose to study in the UK?
  • Why did you choose to study at Cheshire College – South & West?
  • Why did you choose this course and how does it relate to your previous study?
  • What qualifications will you receive?
  • What is the relevance of the course to your future career path?
  • Where do you intend to live while you are in the UK?
  • How are you funding your studies?
  • Do you intend to work in the UK during your studies?
  • What do you intend to do after finishing your course?
  • Are you thinking of transferring to another institution on completing this course?


If you are aged 19+ we can help you upskill and invest in your future with one of our FREE adult courses.

When exploring the courses we have available, you may see a fee attached but you’re more than likely to be eligible for a fully-funded enrolment!
Take a look and get in touch with if you’d like anymore information.

Skip to content