Visual Arts

View courses in Visual Arts

Why choose a career in Visual Arts?

The creative industries are worth billions of pounds every year and by choosing one of these courses you can take a step towards employment in any sector including art, design, graphics, photography, film and media. You could start your career as an Artist, Graphic, Fashion or Product Designer or photographer.

 

Why choose us?

Studying in our Art and Design School will give you the opportunity to explore your creative ideas and

develop advanced skills in a broad range of artistic practices, including Fine Art, Graphic Design, Photography, Product Design, Ceramics, Fashion and Textile Design, Jewellery Design, Sculpture and Printmaking. Art and Design students benefit from outstanding facilities and the latest technology, including a photography studio and darkroom, TV and radio suites, 3D workshop, alongside traditional studio spaces and facilities. You will use state-of-the-art equipment such as, Xerox visualiser, 3D printer, laser cutter and vacuum former, industrial-specification sewing machines and embroidery machines, potters’ wheels, ceramic kilns and glass kilns. On the Foundation Art and Design course at Ellesmere Port, 70% of students progressed into Higher Education, and the remaining 30% went into employmentTrips and Activities: Enrichment opportunities such as work experience with our clients in the industry and the wider community

Student Spotlight

Oscar Munro

Art and Design - Fashion BTEC 90 Credit Diploma Level 3

Christleton High School

“I spent a year at sixth form studying AS Levels, as I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do but was considering product design as a possible career. Exams are not for me, and I found my motivation at sixth form suffered, so I decided to come to College to join the Extended Diploma course which would give me the opportunity to study 3D Design, Fashion and Fine Art in year one and then choose to specialise in one of the three in the second year. “I envisaged choosing the 3D Design module but after the first term I realised that the fashion module really appealed to me and I decided to choose this to specialise in. I’m really pleased I chose the fashion route and couldn’t imagine doing anything else. The tutors are very supportive and really push you to do well to achieve your maximum potential. “My final major project involved designing and creating a clothing collection. I based mine on graffiti and at the end of the course we got the chance to model our own collections on the catwalk at the end-of-year fashion show, which was an amazing and fun experience. “I have now gained a place at Manchester Metropolitan University to study a degree in Fashion. If I had stayed at school I wouldn’t be where I am today with an offer of a place at university. I’m very happy that I came to the College and really appreciate the help and support I’ve had over the past two years.“

Employment Paths

A qualification in Departments can open the door to a range of employment opportunities. Click on the titles to explore each job role.

Graphic designerArtistProduct, clothing or related designer
Toolkit
Apply
Career Guide