With over 12,000 young people studying at Cheshire’s largest Further Education College, 30 learners have been crowned Cheshire College Champions after being carefully selected by a panel of judges for their range of academic and personal achievements over the past year.
An opportunity to celebrate and acknowledge the exceptional commitment and resilience learners have demonstrated in what has been a challenging year, staff at Cheshire College were asked to nominate their Cheshire College Champions before a judging panel came together to carefully consider all submissions and select just 30 learners.
The 30 learners crowned Cheshire College Champions span the College’s three Campuses in Crewe, Ellesmere Port and Chester and all study a variety of courses including full-time courses and A Levels.
Dhesi, Principal & CEO at Cheshire College, commented: “It’s been fantastic celebrating the range of successes our learners have achieved this year through Cheshire College Champions and I’m delighted to have had the opportunity to present our winners with their awards and presents. Having sat on the panel of judges to read through all the nominations and ultimately select our final Cheshire College Champions, I can say that all 30 learners and those nominated too should be immensely proud of themselves.
“So much positive work has taken place this year whilst we’ve been on Campus, as well as working remotely during lockdown, and I feel privileged to be the Principal of a College where we have adapted and pushed forward together during such a challenging year.”
Throughout last week (WC 14th June), the 30 Cheshire College Champions were surprised during their lessons by members of the College’s leadership team who presented them with certificates and gift boxes which included specially branded Cheshire College Champion Cadbury’s Dairy Milk bars and Love2Shop vouchers.
Ella Swindley, former pupil at Brine Leas School, was one of four A Level learners named as a Cheshire College Champion. Aspiring to become an Illustrator, Ella was nominated as a Champion by her tutors for outstanding work and commitment to supporting her peers. Ella said: “This doesn’t feel real! I have loved every moment of my College experience, especially getting to design my own comic book this year. All staff are really supportive and have helped me secure a Degree Apprenticeship within the creative industry.”
One learner, Josh Clibery, who studied at The Whitby High School before applying to the College’s Ellesmere Port Campus, commented: “I am so proud of myself! It feels amazing to be presented with this award!”, after being presented with his award by Assistant Director, Gareth Edwards. Josh joined the Public Services course to chase his dream of securing a job with the RAF. Josh continued: “I love the range of different activities and opportunities available to me and my tutors have been really inspiring, which really motivated me to strive for success.”
Photography learner at the College’s Chester Campus, Louis Major, joined the College in September 2020 after completing his GCSEs at Upton-by-Chester High School. Louis commented: “I honestly have no words, I am over the moon to be crowned one of the 30 Champions. My time studying at the College has been great, I have made so many new friends and the mature environment has given me the freedom to enhance my skills. I would like to be a Freelance Photographer in the future, so I am making the most of every lesson before the term ends.”
The full list of Cheshire College Champions include:
- Tavonga Muviyi, Applied Science, Chester
- Louis Major, Art & Design Practice (Photography), Chester
- Annabel Clayton, Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair, Chester
- Fernanda, ESOL, Chester
- Ella Swindley, A Levels, Crewe
- Jessica Palin, A Levels, Crewe
- Matilda Miller, A Levels, Crewe
- Thomas Morris, A Levels, Crewe
- Aubrey Tew Weaver, Art & Design (Photography), Crewe
- Olga Kubalewska, Business, Crewe
- Eleisha Perry, Business, Crewe
- Catalin Burlacu, Construction, Crewe
- Benjamin Gibbons, Creative Media Practice (Games), Crewe
- Catarina Sequeira Sarmento, ESOL, Crewe
- Michael Swales, Information & Creative Technology, Crewe
- Daniel Moore, Information Technology, Crewe
- Samuel Taylor, Performing Arts (Acting), Crewe
- Conan Leech, Professional Cookery, Crewe
- Dominik Nowak, Sports, Crewe
- Rebecca Corcoran, Childcare & Education, Ellesmere Port
- Mason Kelbrick, Electrical Installation, Ellesmere Port
- Folashade Stockton, Engineering, Ellesmere Port
- Hannah Littler, Health & Social Care, Ellesmere Port
- Alex Cottam, Performing Arts (Production), Ellesmere Port
- Harold Joy, Plumbing, Ellesmere Port
- Josh Cilbery, Public Services, Ellesmere Port
- Amy-Jayne Clarke, Skills for Living & Work, Ellesmere Port
- Aaron Cotter, Sport, Fitness & Personal Training, Ellesmere Port
- Thomas Edwards, Theatrical, Special Effects, Hair & Media Make-up, Ellesmere Port
- Sian Hamilton, Travel & Tourism, Ellesmere Port
With an understanding that everyone has different ways of learning Cheshire College has a range of study courses available to suit individuals’ learning styles, including full-time vocational courses, A Levels, T Levels, Apprenticeships and Higher Education Course. To find out more about Cheshire College, visit www.ccsw.ac.uk – there’s never been a better time to ‘Get In, Stand Out’.