The new BTEC Higher National qualifications in Engineering are designed to address the increasing need for high quality professional and technical Engineers at Levels 4 and 5.
The HNC in Mechanical Engineering focuses on learning by doing and give skills that you can use in employment and to progress in higher education. They are highly valued by employers and can also count towards membership of professional bodies and other employer organisations. On completion of the HNC students can progress to an HND and subsequently to a full BEng via a “top up” at nearby Universities*
The HNC programme consists of eight study units and students receive a mix of lectures and workshops to advance their skills.
All units are assessed via written assignments, case studies, presentations and practical work. There are no final examinations.
The HNC and subsequent HND are each studied over one year either as a day release for employed students or over 2 days for self- funded students**
* Subject to acceptance by the University
** Subject to number of enrolled students
The subjects studies are:
HNC Mechanical Engineering (one year)
• Unit 1 - Engineering Design
• Unit 2 - Engineering Maths
• Unit 3 - Engineering Science
• Unit 8 - Mechanical Principles
• Unit 4 - Managing an Engineering Project
• Unit 11 - Fluid Mechanics
• Unit 13 - Thermodynamics & Heat Engines
• Unit 32 - CAD for Maintenance Engineers
*subject to change
Relevant Level 3 qualification such as:
· 2 A levels including Maths or Physics
· Diploma or Extended Diploma in Engineering to MM(M) or Higher
· GCSE in Maths & English (C or above)
Students successfully completing the programme with a merit of higher can progress to the Level 5 HND in Mechanical Engineering to further progress their skills and employment opportunities.
Employed students can expect to progress more rapidly within their chosen career.
If you are interested or would like to discuss the course further apply online now to arrange an individual interview.