The new BTEC Higher National qualifications in Engineering are designed to address the increasing need for high quality professional and technical engineers at Levels 4 and 5.
The HNC in Mechanical Engineering focuses on learning by doing and give skills that you can use in employment and to progress in higher education. They are highly valued by employers and can also count towards membership of professional bodies and other employer organisations.
The HNC programme consists of eight study units and students receive a mix of lectures and workshops to advance their skills. All units are assessed via written assignments, case studies, presentations and practical work. There are no final examinations.
The HNC is studied over two years as a block release for employed students.
The subjects studies are:
· HNC Mechanical Engineering (over two years)
· Unit 1 - Engineering Design
· Unit 2 - Engineering Maths
· Unit 3 - Engineering Science
· Unit 4 - Managing an Engineering Project
· Unit 8 - Mechanical Principles
· Unit 13 - Thermodynamics & Heat Engines
Plus two optional units – to be discussed with course team leader to best match individual skills and employment where possible.
Relevant Level 3 qualification such as:
· A levels including Maths or Physics
· Diploma or Extended Diploma in Engineering to MM(M) or Higher
· GCSE in Maths & English (C or above)
Students successfully completing the programme with a merit of higher can progress to the Level 5 HND in Mechanical Engineering to further progress their skills and employment opportunities.
Employed students can expect to progress more rapidly within their chosen career.
If you are interested or would like to discuss the course further apply online now to arrange an individual interview.