The Computer Science Level 2 includes externally assessed units that reflect the skills and aptitudes required for future professionals. It will include a digital portfolio unit that provides you with the opportunity to show case your talent.
Coursework will be developed through a number of internally assessed units.
You will study the following units:-
• The Online World (externally assessed) provides an introduction to the modern online world, to understand the techniques and processes behind the internet and investigate how they come together to let you view websites and send information across the world. Core
• Technology Systems (externally assessed) exploring the hardware components of technology systems and networks. C
• A Digital Portfolio provides an exciting onscreen way to showcase your achievements to potential employers or when applying for future courses. Core
• Computing in the Workplace introduction to the IT sector and creative industries and the use of technology to improve project delivery. Core
• Software Development learning how design, develop and test computer programs. Mandatory
• Multi-Media Products Development a creative computing unit on interactive multimedia products e.g. computer games Mandatory
• Computational Thinking exploring the principles of computational thinking which underpin information and creative technology. Mandatory
• Software Systems Development understanding the project life cycle behind creating a software system. Mandatory
• Website Development exploring the tools and techniques used to design, develop and test an interactive website.
• Computer Networks to understand the features and uses of computer networks by exploring what networks are, as well as the different types of network.
Minimum 4 GCSEs at grade D or above including Maths and English or a Level 1 qualification plus functional skills maths and English.
On successful completion of the course gaining an overall merit or higher grade you may progress to BTEC National Diploma in IT or other relevant programme or apprenticeship in IT.