Learners must complete the eight mandatory units and four from a choice of optional specialist units:
1. Principles of Science
2. Chemistry and our Earth
3. Energy and our Universe
4. Biology and our Environment
5. Applications of Chemical Substances
6. Applications of Physical Science
7. Health Applications of Life Science
8. Scientific Skills
Optional specialist units:
9. Practical Scientific Project
10. World Energy
11. How Scientific Theories are Formulated
12. The Living Body
13. Monitoring the Environment
14. Growing Plants for Food
15. Investigating a Crime Scene
16. Science in Medicine
17. Understanding Human Behaviour
18. Designing and Making Useful Devices in Science Assessment
The Extended Certificate in Applied Science includes two externally assessed units. The other 10 units are all assessed internally via production of assignments and completion of practical assessments.
Four GCSE’s at Grade 3 (D) or above including Maths and English. Level 2 students who do not achieve a grade 4 in English and/or Maths will study a GCSE in the subject(s) as part of their study programme.
Learners could progress from this qualification to related vocational qualifications, such as BTEC Nationals, specifically the BTEC Level 3 in Applied Science.